Thursday, September 11, 2014

Facing The Bear


Here I am, two weeks before I step to the line to face what might be the hardest 100 mile race, maybe the hardest of any race I have ever done -- The Bear 100. I am undertrained. I am recovering from injury. The long range forecast is uncertain, but is trending to be cold, real cold.

More than any race I've entered, this one feels more intimidating. Going in to Western States, I was suffering from tendonitis in my left foot and recovering from a sprained ankle on my right foot. I hadn't been able to put in the mileage I wanted to, but I was still running. This time, a month out from the race, I strained my calf. The week following that strain, I didn't run at all; not one step on the road or trail or treadmill. Last week I put in a whopping 18 miles, 8 of which were hiking with my kids (I'm counting it as time on feet training). This week, I've tried to resume a normal week so I can get the nagging feelings of doubt out of my head. To prove to myself that I can still put in a 50-65 mile week before my official taper week and be ok. But my run this morning resulted in a really tight, sore calf. Got to make sure I don't go putting in too much too fast or I'll end up on the DNS list.

Is it enough to rely on base? I guess I'll find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment