Thursday, March 12, 2015

Kicked in the groin by the running gods

It seems that the running gods have it out for me this year. After a lackluster beginning to the year, and my attempt at running 2015 miles in 2015, I bounced back for a few weeks and had a decent run at Black Canyon Trail 100k in February. I figured that was a good sign and that I was on my way into a strong, successful few months of training before taking on San Diego 100. The running gods must have known this and, when I was least expecting it, kicked me straight in the groin.



Now I should emphasize that it wasn't a sudden infliction of pain while performing some Killian-esque descent down a scree field ahead of a raging lava flow. Instead, it came about gradually while I cranked out an amazing couple of 30-35 mile weeks. This week was supposed to be my week to resume 50-60 miles, complete with hill training and speed work at the track. Instead, I came home from work on Monday with food poisoning and spent the afternoon and evening in bed.

For my Tuesday run, I thought I would join the Arizona Night Runners group on the Maricopa Trail for 9-10 miles (to make up for Monday). After just 1 mile, I had mild discomfort in the groin on the right and it just kept getting worse. After 2 miles the pain was getting more severe and I was altering my gait in an effort to avoid the pain. I hit 3 miles and was almost limping down the trail. That's when I decided to turn around and call it for the night, knowing that I would end with only 6 miles. By the time I got back to my truck, I was almost in tears from the pain.

Wednesday night is the Thunderbird Trail Runners/Sole Sports group run, which I hate to miss. I decided I would show up early for the pre-run for a few easy miles and then play the later run by ear. Cory met me at the trailhead and we got started. I was feeling good up the first climb, but after we hit
0.5 miles into the run the pain started coming back. Pulling my leg forward and rotating my right foot inward was very uncomfortable. I made it to the top of the peak and started back down, which proved to be worse. After the mile mark, I was wincing and grunting in pain again. I walked back to the truck and got in -- again, almost in tears from the pain.

So, here I sit in front of the computer after talking to my PT and hours of self-diagnosing with the help of WebMD, MayoClinic, Livestrong, and various other resources. I've concluded that I either have either groin strain (likely of the pectineus muscle), endometriosis, gonorrhea, testicular cancer, or I'm pregnant. I'm going with groin strain. There are all sorts of stories of people recovering relatively quickly (2 weeks) to chronic groin pain lasting 6 months or longer. I'm praying for the 2 weeks prognosis.

I've also taken to looking up therapy and treatment options. Yes, my wife thinks I'm crazy and can't understand why I'm not rushing in to see the doctor, but I think any guy in this situation would sympathize with my plight. So, Ibuprofen, foam rolling, ice, TENS, and rest are on my list... still not sure about the TENS, but I did rule out the thigh master.

Perhaps the hardest part of dealing with injuries is the downtime I have to take and the feeling of disappointment and anxiety that builds, while my training suffers and my races approach. I might be walking SD100. Wish me well.

No comments:

Post a Comment